“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”
Now that we are a few weeks into the new year, it is the perfect time to think about improvements that will make 2019 a year to be proud of. Losing weight, going to the gym, reading more etc., are desired results that will remain wishes without habit driven execution plans. My challenge for you going into the new year is to create (or update) your daily success routine to include all of the necessary daily activities to achieve your desired results. Here are a few good habits to consider:
- Overcome the snooze button by placing your alarm across the room. An alarm that forces you to get up and out of bed is the best way to ensure that you stay on a consistent routine and create a solid habit. Regardless of what time you get up, the snooze button will leave you playing from behind the entire day.
- Everyone’s body clock is different, so find the optimal time of day for your routine. Some people are morning people and some are more effective at night. I discovered that the optimal time for my success routine is 5:45 – 7:45am. When I tried to get up before 5:45am, I felt tired later in the day. After just a few days of testing different times I found the sweet spot.
- A solid success routine includes a custom mix of physical, spiritual and mental growth. It is up to you to discover and create the most effective mix of activities that will be sustainable each day. At the end of your routine you should feel energized, accomplished and excited about the next day. If you find that not to be the case then you probably need to make an adjustment.
- Commit to do your routine for a minimum of 60 days. That is plenty of time for auto suggestion to kick in with your subconscious brain. Once that happens, your new habit will be etched in stone and protected as the new norm.
- Include a healthy, energizing meal into your routine. My personal routine includes a healthy smoothie that serves as rocket fuel to get the day started.
- Track your progress on a daily score board. Keeping daily score is the best way to kick your subconscious brain into action. Take advantage of it.
It is possible to accomplish the things you want in 2019 without a success routine, but your probability goes way down. Increase your odds with a real plan. Make 2019 your best yet. Make it the year that you create your custom success routine.