A fancy title does not make someone a leader. A well-known name does not make a company the leader in their space. In Kim Powell’s book “The CEO Next Door”, she refers to "catapult opportunities" as the opportunities that catapult an individual person or a company to become the leader in their space. Here are a few ways to create a "catapult opportunity":
- Pick the messiest problem and solve it.
- Take on the job or task that no one else wants.
- Solve the problem before people are asking about it.
- Make moves before you are completely “ready.”
- Do things outside of your responsibility. Go above and beyond.
Regardless of name or title, remember that whoever is willing to own and solve the problem becomes the leader. I challenge you to think about what “catapult opportunities” you can create.